Why are vulnerable girls living in children’s homes falling victim to grooming and sexual abuse?
The recent convictions of nine men involved in a child sex ring in Rochdale revealed the tactics of the perpetrators. But the investigation also showed failures in the care system and its inability to protect residents of children’s homes.
In this 30 minute long audio podcast, journalist Simon Cox asks what’s going wrong. This podcast is an episode of Radio 4’s The Report documentary series which was broadcast by the BBC on 31 May 12.
This podcast is well-suited for listening to on an iPod or mobile phone, and will be of interest to those working in residential care. Many of the issues are at a strategic/policy level, making it a valuable resource for CPD.
Podcast link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/r4report. The podcast can be downloaded and kept as a 13Mb mp3, and the BBC say it will be available indefinitely. BBC podcasts can be shared within the classroom or lecture theatre for educational purposes. © All rights reserved by the BBC.
There’s more information on the Rochdale child sex ring at http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/rochdale-child-sex-ring.
- Free e-textbook: Family Life in Adolescence
- 3 new free textbooks from BCcampus
- Minnesota parents know
- Free sessions by e-Learning for Healthcare
- First Steps: e-learning for adoption
- The Natural Learning Initiative
- Tufts Child & Family WebGuide
- Childhood in the Digital Age – a new free online course
- Child Psychology: a free introductory course
- Caring for vulnerable children – a new free online course
- The Center for Parent Information and Resources – a resource library for families of children with disabilities
- Free Early Years Outdoors & Play books
- New free online course: Childbirth – A Global Perspective
- The Encyclopedia on Early Childhood Development