Why are vulnerable girls living in children’s homes falling victim to grooming and sexual abuse?
The recent convictions of nine men involved in a child sex ring in Rochdale revealed the tactics of the perpetrators. But the investigation also showed failures in the care system and its inability to protect residents of children’s homes.
In this 30 minute long audio podcast, journalist Simon Cox asks what’s going wrong. This podcast is an episode of Radio 4′s The Report documentary series which was broadcast by the BBC on 31 May 12.
This podcast is well-suited for listening to on an iPod or mobile phone, and will be of interest to those working in residential care. Many of the issues are at a strategic/policy level, making it a valuable resource for CPD.
Podcast link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/r4report. The podcast can be downloaded and kept as a 13Mb mp3, and the BBC say it will be available indefinitely. BBC podcasts can be shared within the classroom or lecture theatre for educational purposes. © All rights reserved by the BBC.
There’s more information on the Rochdale child sex ring at http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/rochdale-child-sex-ring.
- Autistic Spectrum – three more free online courses
- Open early childhood courses: How do they match up to MOOCs?
- Two free early childhood MOOCs starting soon
- 200 free childcare & youth podcasts
- Free Autism Spectrum e-books
- Parental mental health and families by SCIE
- Understanding Attachment Theory by IRISS
- Ten educative Facebook groups about childhood
- Autistic Spectrum: Free e-learning modules
- Rosie: the child protection computer game
- Parental substance misuse
- Positive Behaviour Supports for Children with Disabilities
- An Awareness of Child Abuse and Neglect
- NHS birth to five timeline
- Seven e-learning resources from C4EO